Peter Obi achievements as Governor has been one of major Campaign points of the Labour party especially in the 2023 general elections. Peter Obi is a Nigerian businessman, economist, and politician who was Governor of Anambra State from 2006 to 2014.
During his tenure, he was responsible for a number of significant accomplishments that benefited the state’s economy, education, healthcare, and infrastructure.
Here are 20 of his most notable achievements:
1.Anambra State Investment Promotion and Protection Agency (ANSIPPA):
The Anambra State Government, led by Governor Peter Obi, established the Anambra State Investment Promotion and Protection Agency (ANSIPPA) on June 9, 2010.
The agency was created to promote and facilitate investment in Anambra State, as well as to protect the interests of state investors.
The mission of ANSIPPA is to foster business growth, attract domestic and foreign investment, and stimulate economic growth in Anambra State.
Peter Obi established ANSIPPA to attract local and foreign investment to the state. This initiative led to the creation of new businesses, the expansion of existing ones, and the creation of thousands of jobs.
2. Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) :
Obi’s administration achieved all the eight MDGs targets and exceeded some, making Anambra one of the few states in Nigeria to achieve such feat.
3. Fiscal Responsibility Commission:
He was the first governor in Nigeria to sign the Fiscal Responsibility Act of 2007 into law. The law mandates the state to maintain transparency and accountability in its financial dealings.
4. Reduction of debt:
During his tenure as governor of Anambra State in Nigeria, Peter Obi is widely credited with reducing the state’s debt burden. When Obi took office in 2006, he inherited a significant debt burden, but he implemented several measures to reduce the state’s debt. Here are some of the most important ways Obi reduced Anambra State’s debts:
- Obi restructured the state’s debts by negotiating with creditors to restructure existing loans, lower interest rates, and extend payment terms. This contributed to lower debt servicing costs for the state and freed up resources for other development projects.
- Fiscal Responsibility: The Obi administration implemented strict fiscal discipline and financial management practices, including regular budgetary controls, effective procurement practices, and transparency in financial reporting. This helped to ensure that the state’s resources were used effectively and efficiently.
- Obi focused on increasing the state’s IGR by improving tax collection systems and introducing new revenue streams, such as the Anambra State Internal Revenue Service. This aided the state’s revenue and reduced its reliance on federal funds.
- The Obi administration prioritized spending on critical infrastructure projects and social services, while reducing wasteful spending and corruption. This helped to ensure that resources were directed towards productive investments that could generate long-term economic growth.
Through these measures, Peter Obi was able to significantly reduce Anambra State’s debt burden from around ₦127 billion (approximately $660 million) in 2006 to ₦9.2 billion (approximately $47 million) by the end of his tenure in 2014.
5. Development of infrastructure:
Under Obi, the state government constructed over 400 kilometers of roads and 300 kilometers of drainage systems. He also provided electricity to many communities that had been without it for years.
Obi established the Anambra State Health Insurance Scheme, which provided affordable healthcare to residents of the state, particularly the poor and vulnerable.
Peter Obi’s major accomplishment in healthcare was the construction and renovation of healthcare facilities throughout Anambra State.
He established a number of health care facilities and hospitals, including the Awka General Hospital, Onitsha General Hospital, and Neni Hospital.
These hospitals were outfitted with cutting-edge medical technology and equipment in order to improve healthcare delivery in the state.
Peter Obi also implemented several healthcare programs to improve Anambra citizens’ access to healthcare.
One of his programs was the Anambra State Health Insurance Scheme (ASHIS), which aimed to provide affordable healthcare to all state residents.
Individuals and families were able to access healthcare services without financial barriers thanks to this program.
Peter Obi also implemented the free maternal and child healthcare program. This program provided free healthcare services in the state to pregnant women and children under the age of five.
The program contributed to lower maternal and infant mortality rates in the state, as well as improved women’s and children’s health outcomes.
Furthermore, Peter Obi worked to improve the welfare of the state’s healthcare workers. He raised healthcare workers’ pay and provided them with training and professional development opportunities.
This aided in the motivation and retention of healthcare workers in the state, as well as the improvement of healthcare service quality.
In summary, Peter Obi’s major achievements in healthcare include the construction and renovation of healthcare facilities, implementation of healthcare programs, and improvement of the welfare of healthcare workers in Anambra State.
These achievements were made possible through effective planning, budgeting, and implementation strategies.
Obi increased the budgetary allocation to the education sector from 6% to 15.8%, leading to significant improvements in the quality of education in the state.
He also constructed over 500 classroom blocks and distributed over 100,000 computers to schools.
Obi placed a high priority on education and made significant efforts to improve its quality. He provided incentives for teachers, invested in infrastructure and provided textbooks and other educational materials to schools.
This led to significant improvements in the quality of education in Anambra State.
Obi also invested in infrastructure development in the education sector.
He built new schools, renovated existing ones and provided facilities such as libraries, science laboratories, and computer rooms.
This ensured that students had access to quality facilities to enhance their learning experience.
Obi was able to curb crime and restore peace to the state by equipping the police with modern tools and technology.
Obi initiated the Anambra State Carnival, which has become a major tourist attraction in Nigeria, attracting visitors from within and outside the country.
Obi invested heavily in agriculture, providing farmers with the necessary inputs, training, and infrastructure to increase productivity and enhance food security.
During his time in office, he accomplished several agricultural feats, including:
- Peter Obi established several agro-allied industrial clusters throughout Anambra State, which facilitated the production, processing, and packaging of agricultural products. These clusters provided a market for farmers to sell their produce as well as job opportunities.
- Rice production increased: Peter Obi’s administration encouraged rice cultivation by providing farmers with high-quality seedlings, fertilizers, and other inputs. As a result, rice production in Anambra State increased significantly, and the state became a major producer of rice in Nigeria.
- Support for Small-Scale Farmers: Peter Obi’s administration provided loans, grants, and other forms of financial assistance to small-scale farmers. This assistance enabled them to expand their farms, increase productivity, and improve their living conditions.
- Development of Agricultural Infrastructure: Peter Obi’s administration developed various agricultural infrastructure such as irrigation systems, dams, and rural roads to facilitate agricultural production, processing, and transportation.
- Partnership with International Organizations: Peter Obi partnered with international organizations such as the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) and the World Bank to promote agricultural development in Anambra State. These partnerships resulted in the implementation of various agricultural projects, including the Community-Based Agricultural and Rural Development Project (CBARDP).
11. Youth empowerment:
Obi established the Anambra State Small Business Agency, which provided loans and grants to young entrepreneurs to start and grow their businesses.
12. Women empowerment:
Obi appointed several women to key positions in his government and provided them with opportunities to participate in decision-making at all levels.
13. Pensioners welfare:
Obi paid off the backlog of pension arrears that had accumulated over many years and introduced a monthly pension payment scheme.
Obi initiated the construction of the Anambra International Airport, which was completed by Gov. Willie Obiano. The airport will promote tourism and business in the state.
15. Public transportation:
Obi revitalized the state’s public transportation system by introducing new buses and providing loans to transport operators to purchase new vehicles.
16. Education partnership:
Obi signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the British Government to improve the quality of education in Anambra State.
17. Health partnership:
Obi partnered with the World Health Organization (WHO) and other organizations to improve healthcare delivery in the state.
18. Poverty alleviation:
Obi established the Anambra State Poverty Eradication and Wealth Creation Agency, which provided job training and financial support to poor and unemployed residents.
19. Water supply:
Obi constructed over 200 boreholes and water treatment plants to provide clean water to rural communities.
20. Road safety:
Obi introduced measures to improve road safety, including the installation of road signs, traffic.
According to the Anambra State Government website, Peter Obi’s administration constructed and rehabilitated over 800 km of roads in the state during his tenure. This included major roads such as the Awka – Enugu Expressway, Nnobi – Nando Road, Oba – Nnewi – Okigwe Road, and many others.