Meanwhile Suspected Boko Haram fighters operating on 11 motorcycles, in the early hours of Wednesday, invaded Dabna village and adjoining communities in Adamawa State and allegedly killed scores.
Dabna is less than three kilometres from Garaha, the hometown of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha.
Eighteen corpses had so far been recovered from the dawn attack and more bodies were being expected to be discovered because of the way the attack was carried out.
The Chairman, Hong Local Government Area, Adamawa State, James Pukuma, who gave the casualty figure, said a joint team of security officials had restored normalcy and was helping with the recovery of the dead.
He explained that the attackers did not come looking for food but to cause terror, adding that the attackers, who came on 11 motorbikes, waylaid and gunned down fleeing members of the community.
The council boss added, “The attackers came on motorbikes and waylaid their victims, who they chased and opened fire on. We learnt that they came on 11 motorbikes each conveying two to three persons.”
“So far, 18 corpses have been recovered with the help of security agents, who have restored normalcy.“Most of the attacks are around the Sambisa axis; we want our people to be vigilant and report any suspicious movement to security agencies.
Because this is the rainy season, without such measures, it means vast communities from these areas will be unable to farm.”
The military, however, said the information at its disposal was that only two corpses had been recovered from the community.
The Army Public Relations Officer, 23 Armoured Brigade, Jalo Cantonment, Major Sani Mohammed, told our correspondent on the telephone that the brief he had indicated that only two corpses were recovered after the attack.
The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, DSP Suleiman Nguroje, said he was not authorised to speak on the attack since it had to do with Boko Haram.
In his reaction, former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar condemned the attacks.
The 2019 presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party on his official Facebook page, wrote, “I categorically condemn the killings in some communities of Adamawa earlier today, he said.
“Human life is sacrosanct, and no matter how often these attacks occur, we must never get used to them. They are unacceptable. They must stop”.
And we as Nigerians have a duty to work with governments at all levels to make sure that these attacks are brought to an end. I condole with those who have lost loved ones.
“I also condole with the government of Adamawa state, that I know is doing their utmost, within their constitutional powers, to put a halt to these attacks and other forms of insecurity”.
“May God grant the departed rest in His bosom, and in Al Jannah Firdaus. And may He bless Nigeria and guide us out of these present troubles.”
950 Pupils Abducted in Nigeria Since Dec 2020, Says UN
The United Nations (UN) has said that Armed men have abducted, at least, 950 Nigerian pupils from their schools since December 2020.
It estimated that nearly 500 children were abducted in four separate incidents across the North Central and North West parts of the country over the past six weeks alone, as attacks against children deepen in parts of West and Central Africa.
Executive Director of the United Nations Children Fund (UNICEF), Henrietta Fore, who disclosed this in a statement yesterday, regretted that many of the children had not yet returned, adding that it was hard to fathom the pain and fear their families and were suffering in their absence.
She noted that UNICEF was deeply concerned that, as in the years past, non-state armed groups and parties to conflict in Nigeria, Niger, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, the Central African Republic and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) would ramp up the violent activities over the coming weeks ahead of the rainy season when their movements could be restricted by flooding.
Fore observed that it was not enough to condemn the criminality, especially when millions of children face worsening protection crisis.
On July 5, 2021, about 150 students were reportedly abducted from a school in Kaduna State, marking the latest incident in an alarming spate of attacks against children and students, in parts of West and Central Africa, she said.“In Burkina Faso, attacks against civilians and other violations of international humanitarian law have spiked significantly in recent weeks.
On June 5, at least 130 civilians were killed in an attack on a village in Yagha Province that lasted for hours. This was the single deadliest attack in the country since the outbreak of violence in 2015.
So far this month, 178 civilians have been killed, including children. More than 1.2 million people, 61 per cent of whom are children, are now displaced because of violence – a 10-fold increase in just the last three years.
“In Cameroon, members of an armed group attacked a religious center in Mamfe on June 6, killing a 12-year-old boy and wounding a 16-year-old boy. Attacks on civilians, abductions and killings of school children and teachers are on the rise across the North West and South West parts of the country. We estimate that one million children in Cameroon need protection from violence.”